Monday, October 23, 2006

Reading stories

Hello! I had to share this because it was so funny. Tonight I was reading Mason his (currently) favorite book. It's called, "The little puppy". He has a stuffed dalmatian that he carries everywhere these days, and that's his little puppy. Amy, our Chinese tutor, has taught us that "puppy" is "Xiao gou" in Chinese (pronounced "sheow go"). So tonight we were reading this book and Mason decided that every time the book said, "puppy" or the puppy's name, I had to say, "xiao gou". After about the 2nd page, he decided that I should say "ge ge" (big brother) in place of the boy's name. Two pages later, I had to say, "ma ma" for mother and "ba ba" for father. This went on until I was substituting as many words as I could into Chinese (which, by the way, is not very many, but was still pretty tricky!) I have to brush up, though, because he wasn't happy that I didn't know some that he thought I should know! It was so funny- and a great lesson for both of us since he knows the book by heart. He really is picking up the language. Amy is great with him and he just loves her. Sean and I could tell a difference in our second lesson, too. We are starting to put things- however few- together, with Amy to correct us every step of the way! :)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea!! I think my nephew takes after his Aunt Rachel - he's brilliant!! What a good way to use everyday words. We watched the National Geographic DVD on China adoptions tonight - it was very good. Looking forward to seeing some more. Missing you tons!! love, R

1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home